Saturday, December 22, 2007

How Much Should I Charge?

That is a question I often ask myself as I come upon new types assignments I have never done. The other day, it was with an artist who needed replication slides and prints of a few of her paintings. I called up a couple photographers to get an idea what kind of fees established pros were charging and I adjusted mine with theirs.

It's a common complaint of pro photographers that newbie photographers don't charge enough and end up ruining the market by lowballing. Just yesterday an architectural photographer in Oregon was complaining to me about that.

He said: 'How can I compete with a photographer who comes onto the market charging 3 or 4 hundred dollars when I'm charging $1500 for the same services? Sure, the quality of the shots is reflected in the fees, but still I am losing more and more clients to these guys."

Are YOU charging too little? Here are some signs to look for.

Here is a very interesting solution to this issue, offered by Leslie Burns on her blog. Let me know what you think.

Note from Maria Piscopo:

"Just finished an article for Shutterbug Magazine on 'Photographers That Make A Difference' and though you will have to wait until the April issue to read this piece, I wanted to share the websites of the photographers and the non-profits they support:

Colin Finlay, PROOF: Media For Social Justice (www.proofmsj.org)
Phil Borges: Bridges (www.bridgesweb.org)

So happy holidays-happy new year- now go make a difference!"