Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Networking


Another great marketing tool is networking. You make connections, build relationships with other professional people and refer business to each other. It's taking control of 'word of mouth' marketing and making it work for you.

There are several ways to go about it. The most proactive is to join a networking group like BNI (Business Networking International). There are thousands of different chapters all over the world, 75 just in Orange County. You can find them at www.socalbni.com

I joined BNI a few months ago. It's great for building up your business through referrals and also learning from other professionals there. They teach you how to present yourself effectively. It's quite useful. I have gotten a few portrait jobs, but that is not really my focus. A friend of mine made over $30 000 in portrait photography jobs in his first year in BNI alone. Not bad for 90 min. a week in meeting time. I think, as far as referrals go, it works mainly for portrait or wedding photographers (ie. consumer photography). Nevertheless, I have gotten a lot out of it.

Also check out http://www.letip.com as well as the trusty Chamber of Commerce. For upcoming meetings: http://www.hbchamber.org/

The Chamber is not as effective because attendance is haphazard. In the networking groups, attendance is mandatory. This creates reliability, consistency and trust within the members of each group. That's how you build relationships and then feel comfortable referring business to others.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

5 comments:

Melinda said...

Hi Greg, Great info. I think I will look into it. I had not so good an experience with one group so a recommendation from a fellow photographer helps.
I am changing careers from networker (computer junk) to SEO/internet marketing stuff. When I get a rough website going I will probably start a blog. It will be on marketing mostly for the web. Would you be interested in the blog?
Don't forget to let me know were the strobists are meeting for Friday.

Thanks
Melinda

Maria Piscopo said...

also check out ocadclub.org if you are looking at commercial photography.

Melinda said...

Thanks Maria your awesome

Greg Clarke said...

For sure I would be interested in your blog. Let me know when you start it up. We could even post links to each other's blogs on here.

Anonymous said...

五金百貨大賣場 五金工具 電動工具 吸塵器 diy 營造公司 豪宅設計 別墅設計 建築設計 舊屋翻新 農舍 住宅設計 綠建築 蓋房子 自地自建 品牌行銷 CIS 設計公司 廣告設計 平面設計 桃園當鋪15 北區當鋪 新娘秘書 月子餐 滷味 月子餐外送 月子餐食譜 結婚金飾 鑽石婚戒 塑膠袋 塑膠袋批發 塑膠袋工廠 塑膠袋 塑膠袋批發 飛梭雷射 幼兒美語 兒童美語 桃園托兒所 桃園安親班 桃園幼稚園