Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Create A Local Community

I just read an article by Maria Piscopo on her site about community. In it, she has interviewed a number of artists on the topic. She spells out how important it is, not just for networking but to foster friendships and connections in a creative sphere.

When I was in college, I took having photographer and artists friends galore for granted. It was a given, a part of my life. When I moved to Southern California, I knew no artists for the first two years. It was a missing element in my life. My non artists friends don't want to hear me go on for two hours about the off-camera lighting techniques I'm passionate about. They care how I feel, they care about what I do, but they don't share my passion for photography.

I took a photography class in the fall and that all changed. Now I have a close circle of friends and we talk about photography, business and other stuff all the time. It's amazing ! We support each other in our endeavours. If one of us can't do a photo job, we'll refer each other. We assist each other, share advice and even party, ha what a concept.

I value this community of friends I have. It's essential in fact. Just human nature really. We all want to share our passion with others. It's going to get bigger too thanks to the internet. This blog will foster a community of people who can support each other. I don't know how it's going to happen, but it's my dream, my goal.



This video is of my 'non artists' friends and I on vacation in the south of France. This is what I do when I'm not talking about business and photography... Guess who the last man standing is?

No comments: